Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

LGG: Jonah - Love the Loveless Week 1/Day 2

Read: Jonah 1:4-6SOAP: Psalm 135:5-6

S: For I know that the LORD is great, That our Lord is above all gods. Whatever the LORD pleased, that he has done, In heaven and in eretz, in the seas and in all deeps;



O&A: Tying the Proverb in with Yonah, "So the shipmaster came to him, and said to him, "What do you mean, sleeper? Arise, call on your gods! Maybe the gods will notice us, so that we won't perish." When a person doesn't know Adonai as Elohim/God, they cannot truly understand how great/gadol and magnificent He is! The people on that ship to Tarshish were trying to call out to multiple gods - they were going for QUANTITY, not QUALITY. 

Our Elohim, praise be to Him, is absolutely sovereign. We see that whatever pleases Him, he has done. I'm thinking about my position as a wife; I do things to please myself from time to time, sure, but my objective as wife to MY husband is to please him, as well. Adonai doesn't have to bend to us, however, the word for pleased is חָפֵץ (chaphets, pronounced as khä·fāts') can also be described as 'bend down' (properly, to incline to; by implication (literally but rarely) to bend; figuratively, to be pleased with, desire:—× any at all, (have, take) delight, desire, favour, like, move, be (well) pleased, have pleasure, will, would.) 

The gods of the unbelievers can do nothing, as evidenced by all the people crying out to their own gods, yet still demanding that Yonah call out to HIS (also brings to mind Eliyah/Elijah and the prophets of ba'al, and how wonderfully our Abba appeared!); but our God can do any thing and does do everything.

One last thing, if I may. I was considering how it's almost like Abba has one of those child locators for each of us. I recently requested my family to download an app called Family360. With our eldest off at college, my husband having a delivery job, and my younger son sometimes liking to take walks alone, I like to know that if needed, I could see where they are, like in case of an emergency or something. Am I playing God by being able to see where they go? Heaven forbid! I'm keeping a watchful eye, just as He does with us, His chosen treasure.


P: Avinu Malkeinu, our Father and our King, Your majesty astounds and surrounds me.You truly are great, and above all gods. You are above the gods of our own making, and it's amazing to me that You, who answers to no one, would do anything to please anyone other than You. Abba, I proclaim You, just as Yonah was asked to do. He is not alone in trying to run from what You've asked, and he is not alone in storms coming because of his disobedience. Thank You, merciful Abba, for being greater than any and every god, every idol, every machination of our mind. May we be pleasing to You in all our ways. In Yeshua's name, Amein.

No comments:

Post a Comment