Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, February 5, 2018

James Study: Week 4 ~ Monday

James 4:13-17



S: Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow let's go into this city, and spend a year there, and trade, and get gain." Whereas you don't know what your life will be like tomorrow.  For what is your life? For you are a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away. For you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will both live, and do this or that."
But now you glory in your boasting. All such boasting is evil. To him therefore who knows to do good, and doesn't do it, to him it is sin.


O&A: I immediately am thinking how we're not to worry about tomorrow, for today has enough worry of its own. Years ago, my husband and I began to say, "If Abba wills/desires/purposes, we will do ___ tomorrow/whatever date in the future." Somewhere along the way, I stopped stating it as such all the time. I'm thankful for this reminder. Without Him, I have nothing, can do nothing, and am nothing... but a vapor in the wind. 

This makes me think of my oil diffuser. I put the water in, make my little scent blend, and turn it on. For hours, it will diffuse the oils into the air at set intervals. If you see it diffusing, you will see the wisps of vapor coming out, but it doesn't last. Of course you can still smell the evidence of the oils for hours, but later on, that's not even there, either. Our lives have the potential to be nothing more than that, if we boast in ourselves, yet can have incredible impact when we trust Adonai with the purpose of our life and do only as He wills/desires/sets the purpose. 





Jeremiah 9:23-24 "Thus says Adonai/the L-RD, Don't let the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, don't let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he has understanding, and knows me, that I am Adonai/the L-RD who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness, in the eretz: for in these things I delight, says Adonai/the L-RD."

For this verse: "To him therefore who knows to do good, and doesn't do it, to him it is sin." 'If all we do is think about doing good, yet never become "doers of the word" (James 1:22), we will be in sin. This adds a layer of duty to our knowledge: failure to act is, in itself, an act. We are not merely meant to avoid evil—believers are morally obligated to do what we know is good.' (Not my own thoughts, but found here.


So if I say, "I'll help you tomorrow", knowing that I *could* help today, then I am boasting in my own plans; I am not a doer, but a sayer, which is sin.




P: Abba, King of glory and righteousness, by Whom all things were created, and for Whom all things were created, I am so thankful for this reminder today, to not make my own plans, for if You are not the purpose of the plans, what good will they be? If You have not given the commission, what power is in it? I want only what You want, Abba. "For what is your life?" I want my life to be YOURS - that is the only way my time on this earth will have any purpose, to serve YOU and Your will. Even Yeshua said, "Not my will but Yours." And I am not greater than Yeshua! Thank You, Abba, for giving me purpose, and allowing me to serve You. B'shem Yeshua, Amein.




No comments:

Post a Comment