Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 22, 2018

LGG: Promises of God ~ Week 2, Day 1


Read & SOAP: 

1 Corinthians 15:58

S: Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the L-rd's work, because you know that your labor is not in vain in the L-rd.




O&A: 
-Always abounding in the L-rd's work = Always excel in the tasks assigned by one and to be done for his (Messiah's) sake/business, employment, that with which anyone is occupied
-you know that your labor = intense labor united with trouble, toil - the labor to which love prompts, and which voluntarily assumes and endures trouble and pains for the salvation of others 
- is not in vain in the L-rd = metaphorically, of endeavors, labors, acts, which result in nothing, vain, fruitless, without effect

This passage is begun with a beautiful endearment, one that I use often. All who know me know my husband is so much my beloved that it is one of the ways I refer to him "Beloved Husband". It's an esteemed title. Then to tell us to be steadfast, immovable (which makes think of having ones' chin set like flint, Isaiah 50:7, to be determined)... always excelling in the tasks we are assigned for Messiah's sake... and to know that our toils will not be without effect. 

Oh man. I see a picture in my mind of me sweeping my floors this morning. It's been raining ridiculously here in Texas, so much that last week our car got stuck in deep mud... in our own driveway! Every time we step foot inside our home, we are tracking mud, which dries into dirt. Everywhere you walk, your feet feel gritty. That is, until I sweep. Which I am having to do multiple times a day to keep our feet and floors from being gritty. But the work is not in vain. I don't receive a lot of thanks for the work, until I skip a sweeping. Ha! Then when I DO sweep, it's very welcomed. Whether the work is recognized or not, there is benefit. And so it is with our service to the Master. I may never know why He pointed this person out to pray for as we drive past them, or why He told me to give this person a word from Him, or even why He calls me to do ANYTHING! But I know that His word does not go out and return to Him void - it accomplishes His purpose. So I have to believe that, and desire to excel in what He calls me to do. And know that no matter the difficulty of the task, or the unthankfulness I may receive (not all people want to hear the gospel, after all), my assurance is in Him.

Anyway, that's what it makes me think of. Luke 17:9 says, "Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded? I think not." So we may not receive thanks, or recognition at the time of our service that we ought to excel in, but we toil, and I for one desire these words, "Well done, good and faithful servant." 




P: Oh, Abba, You know my heart. You know it is desperately wicked, it wants to be self-serving when You call me to do the hard things. It wants to self-preserve! It wants to choose life, but Your word says we don't choose life, we have to die to ourselves to receive eternal life in Your kingdom! This word today is so strengthening to me, reminding me WHY we are here, often carrying a broken heart for the lost, for the hurting, for the questioning, for the ones who stand with one foot on either side of the fence... for the ones that spitefully use us for Your purpose. Abba, when my heart says it can't take anymore, Your word says it can! When my spirit is heavy with the troubles of others, You remind me that I am doing what You called me to do, to love others as myself, and to grieve with those grieving, rejoice with those rejoicing. I can't do that if I am immune to their emotions and circumstances. I pray Abba that You would cause my heart to be even more tender towards You and Your purposes. The word labor in our passage today is broken down to " the labor to which love prompts, and which voluntarily assumes and endures trouble and pains for the salvation of others". I pray for more of Your strength to endure these troubles and pains for the salvation of others. I pray that I would understand better that if it's hurting my heart to see Your children who are called by Your name act in these ways, that it's breaking YOUR heart, and how much more so. Help me to set my chin like flint against the adversary, and sometimes even against my own desires, so that I am not a stumbling block to Your works. B'Shem Yeshua/In Yeshua's name, Amein.

No comments:

Post a Comment