Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Week 7 ~ Day 4

GROWING THROUGH PRAYER (A 'LOVING GOD GREATLY' BIBLE STUDY)


February 25, 2016
Week 7 ~ Day 4

Read: 1 Kings 18: 20-39
SOAP: 1 Kings 18:38-39

S:
“Then the fire of YHVH fell, and consumed the burnt offering, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.  When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, “YHVH, he is Elohim; YHVH, he is Elohim”

O&A:
This passage really makes me think of Joshua 24:15 “Choose you this day whom you will serve.”

If it seem evil to you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amori, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve YHVH/the LORD.”

Abba not only consumed the offering, but every thing around it!  Even the stones, which, I mean, STONES.  Stones generally don’t burn.  He is an all-consuming fire!

“Take heed to yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of YHVH your Elohim, which he made with you, and make you an engraved image in the form of anything which YHVH your Elohim has forbidden you. For YHVH your Elohim is a devouring fire, a jealous El.”

This was no ordinary fire that Abba sent down.  When the prophets of ba’al were calling on their god/mighty one, and they weren’t answered, Eliyah/Elijah called on Elohim, creator of the Universe, and YHVH and said, YHVH, the God of Avraham, of Yitzchak, and of Yisra'el, let it be known this day that you are God in Yisra'el, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Hear me, YHVH, hear me, that this people may know that you, YHVH, are Elohim/God, and that you have turned their heart back again.” 

(Side note here: It’s important to point out that Eliyah/Elijah called out to the NAME of the Father, YHVH, and not LORD, because the prophets of Ba’al (which I normally won’t speak out loud) were calling out to THEIR lord – ba’al means lord, so Eliyah was making it absolutely clear WHO he was calling out to, and designating the might and awesomeness of YHVH!) 

I have not yet seen a fire that consumed stone, and ash. When we lived in Louisiana, we used to burn our leaves, because with an acre of trees, you get a lot of leaves.  My husband and sons would make a ring of rocks and stones to contain the fire, and in our several years of living there and doing that, not one single time did the fire ever consume the rocks and stones.  It once got so high that the heat scorched some leaves up high on a tree (don’t tell my mom!), but even with that kind of heat, the stones and rocks stayed intact.

All of this brings to mind how Abba wants to fully and totally consume us.  Completely giving myself to Him involves every aspect of my life.  How can I be on fire for Him if I won’t allow Him to consume every facet of my life?  If I won’t allow Him to burn off the things that don’t bring Him glory, or won’t testify to His greatness?  He wants to show Himself mighty and great so that others will fall down, like these prophets, and cry out, “YHVH, he is Elohim; YHVH, he is Elohim!”


P:
Abba, You are an all-consuming fire!  Consume everything in me that is not of You, to be a testimony to those who are worshipping at the altars of other mighty ones, so that all will fall down and cry out that YOU, YHVH, are Elohim!   Let me not forget the covenant that You and I have with each other!  Let me not bow down to any master that is not You.  Abba, this day I choose You, and I choose to serve You – there is no Elohim like You.  I pray that I’m not alone in choosing You. 

The Torah portion we’re reading this week is when You became angry with the children of Israel, ben Y’Israel, for making the golden calf, and bowing down to it, and I feel like this ties in so closely to this passage today.  Abba, forgive me for putting things before You, and help me to keep You in the forefront of my mind, and be the totality of all that I am.  YHVH, You are Elohim!  I pray, Abba, that You will be with those who are dealing with the aftermath of the severe weather we had in places here in the U.S., and I pray that even while their homes, businesses, life, may look to be in total chaos, that they will reach out to You for Your peace.  Not just in the U.S., Abba, because You speak every language, and You know every custom, and every culture.  I just have hope, Abba, for You to be glorified worldwide, and I have hope that knees will make contact with ground in the act of worship and prayer across the globe, and that all that have breath will praise Your name!  In Yeshua’s name, Amein.

#‎LoveGodGreatly‬ 

No comments:

Post a Comment