Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Week 1 ~ Day 4 - Growing Through Prayer



Growing Through Prayer (A 'Loving God Greatly' Bible Study)

January 14, 2016
Week 1 ~ Day 4

Read: Psalm 145:1-7
SOAP: vs. 1-2









S:  “A praise psalm by David: I will exalt you, my Elohim, the Melek/King.  I will praise your name forever and ever.  Every day I will praise you.  I will extol your name forever and ever.”





O&A:
Word break-down:

Praise - בָּרַךְ barak: to invoke (To address in prayer; to call on for assistance and protection) YHVH, to praise, to celebrate, to adore, to bless Elohim – which is done on bended knees – to praise, salute  à to bless, kneel à as an act of adoration

Exalt - רוּם ruwm: magnify, raise high, exalt; to elevate in power, dignity; to elevate with joy and/or confidence; to praise (!)
(high and lifted up!)

Forever and ever - עַד `ad  עוֹלָם `owlam: evermore, perpetual, forever, always, everlasting, eternity


What are the things or who are the people that we find ourselves bowing down before, in worship?  What do we lift up in power, praise?  What or who do we magnify?  This is so convicting for me, because there have been people and things that I have lifted up in place of Adonai, even if I thought it was pleasing to Him.  This passage today seems so straight-forward to me at first glance – I see David repeating his praises to YHVH in verses 1 and 2, and committing himself to Abba, and saying to our King, “I will do this every day!”  How many times have I said, “I need to do this, Father, I’ll praise you when I’m done.”..?  How many times have I tried to fit the Melek of the Universe into MY schedule???  Sure, I talk with Him while I wash dishes, sweep the floor, fold the clothes, etc., but that is not the carved-out time that He wishes me to spend with Him.  Oh, Father, forgive me!  I know that the days that begin with Him and end with Him are always more bearable, always more full of joy, yet I have had times where I pick and choose the when, where, and how when it comes time to praise Him and commune with him.


Do y’all know that the word barak means to kneel down, as in adoration?  Consider this verse, found in Genesis 24:48I bowed (qadad – bend the neck in deference) my head, and worshiped (shachah – prostrate oneself, bow down, submit oneself; honor YHVH with prayers) YHVH/the LORD, and blessed (barak) the LORD, theElohim/God of my master Avraham, who had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter for his son.”  (I hope you don't mind that I've linked every word to the scripture to see for yourself the words and their meanings. :) )



In this scripture, I see where we have probably gotten the template for how we pray now… when someone says, “Let’s pray”, what do we usually do?  As for me, I automatically close my eyes (to close off all distractions to my eyes; if our eyes are a gateway, it’s like dropping the guard gate that lets things into the fortress), drop/bow my head, and usually fold my hands together.  So not only am I closing off visual distractions, but humbling myself before the Melek/King, and submitting myself to Him.  In my private prayers, I like to either be kneeling down, or I also lay out flat on my exercise mat.  Sometimes, though, I sit in my comfy chair, and sometimes cross-legged on the floor. 


In my mind, I see a person kneeling before Abba, head bowed.  In medieval times, this would be a position of swearing fealty (fidelity, faithfulness) to the King.  A man would kneel on one knee, head down, and holding the sword across the palms of both hands, he would offer up his sword as an act of submission to the King.  That sword most likely had just been used to fight either for or against the very King who it was being offered to.  It was called ‘swearing fealty’.  They would be bound to be true and faithful to their lord, and to defend him against all his enemies.  I feel like when I gave myself to YHVH in Yeshua’s name, this is what I did – I swore fealty to THE KING.  Yet I have times of not being faithful to Him.  Maybe it’s in the giving of my time and resources; maybe it’s in exalting a person or ministry above my King, and then I have to be corrected by my Sovereign, and I give him my faithfulness again.  Because He is a fair and mighty ruler, he wants to forgive me, and believe me.  I praise Him because it is right to do so, and he is WORTHY!


Last thing, the ‘forever and ever’, the ‘every day’… this praise, this blessing, this submission is continual.  It’s not meant for one day a week!  It’s not only on Shabbat*, but EVERY. DAY.  For EVER and EVER.  Makes me think of Revelation 4:8, “They have no rest day and night, saying, "Holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, Shaddai, who was and who is and who is to come! When the living creatures give glory, honor, and thanks to him who sits on the throne, to him who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four Zakenim fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives forever and ever, and throw their crowns before the throne, saying, "Worthy are you, our Lord and God, the Holy One, to receive the glory, the honor, and the power, for you created all things, and because of your desire they existed, and were created!"  They never tire of singing His praise!  And neither should we.


P:

Father, Adonai, my Lord, my King, my Abba, thank You for this timely reminder of the importance I must place on my time with you!!  There is no one else who desires a set-apart time with me except for my beloved husband, and sometimes my sons, and my relationship with you must be that much more!  I desire Your presence, Abba, and to abide in you, and you in me.  Father, I pray that YOUR light would shine so greatly in the lives of my family and the lives of the ladies in this group that others would be drawn to Your light, and would want to know more of You.  I pray that they, and we, would be so enveloped in Your word that our every thought, word, and deed would reflect Your majesty.  I pray that we would never tire of declaring Your glory, Your honor, Your power!  Should we grow faint, Abba lift us up as wings of eagles so that we would run and not grow tired, and we would know that our strength is in YOU!  Teach us the proper way to come into Your presence chamber, the Holy of Holies, and what is acceptable to You.  I pray that if there is one who is reading this who has not known the beauty of submitting to You, that they would come to You in meekness and humbleness, and inquire, and I pray that You would reveal yourself to them, and that they would come to accept you as their King, and Yeshua as their Savior.  I pray that they would desire to declare Your word.  In Yeshua’s name, Amein.







#‎LoveGodGreatly‬







*Our family begins Shabbat at sundown Friday evening to sundown Saturday evening, according to the definition of evening and day in Genesis (there was evening and morning, day one, day two, etc.).  So the 7th day of the week begins at sundown on Friday evening and concludes sundown on Saturday evening, going into the beginning of the 1st day (Sunday).

No comments:

Post a Comment