Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, November 23, 2015

Daybook on a Cold Day ~ November 23, 2015



______________________________


For Today... 
Today marks 20 years since my beloved Gaga (my grandma) passed away.  It was a Thanksgiving day, as well as her youngest son's birthday.  Her death was a shock to us - completely unexpected.  Some of our relatives (my mom, my sister, and I included) will be having cookies and tea this day in her memory.  She used to *love* baking cookies.  I don't remember her as being much of a tea drinker, but I know my mom is, and she has asked that we do this.  We are honored to do so.

L-R: My Mom, Carrie (sister), me, Gaga, Aunt Jan


Outside my window...
The sky is beautiful and bright blue.  If it weren't for the beginning of the visibility of the branches that are usually hidden by leaves, I might mistake this scene for a spring or early summer day.  Inside, however, my toes tell a very different tale!  I am usually a warm person, but I am covered up in my photo blanket.  Brrr...

I am thinking... 
In December, we will mark the 14th anniversary of my middle son's (Thing 2) passing.  I'm not in a sad mood today, truly.  I'm just reflecting.  Check this out - so Gaga was born on Jan 12th, and passed from this life on a Thanksgiving Day and her son's birthday.  My husband's dad passed away on Jan 12th (years later), and that same year on Thanksgiving day, our youngest son was born.  All I can think is "YHVH giveth, and He taketh away".  He is sovereign.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

I'm thankful for The Rock that is our foundation.  We were singing this song this morning (see? I told you I'm not being all depressed).
"I will call upon our Yah; He is worthy to be praised.
So shall I be saved from my enemies.  (The Lord) Yah liveth, and blessed be The Rock,
and may the Yah of my salvation be exa-a-a-lted!"
I am so glad that I have Him to lean on in my times of need, in times of sadness, when I am poor in spirit, when I am weak, when I am angered... and everything in between!  The word used for the rock (צוּר) is also translated as strength.

I am wearing...
Black exercise leggings and a purple t-shirt.  And my photo blanket.  Don't know what a photo blanket is?  Here's mine.

I am creating...
Still getting up the nerve to make the lamp shades that I posted about last week.  I'm going to have to make them on the porch, and did I mention it's been cold??  All I can think is "cold weather, wet stuff, cold, glue, cold..."  You get the point, right?

I am going...
This afternoon when my husband gets home from work, we will be heading to the cemetery where my grandparents are buried to take a floral arrangement for the vase.

I am wondering...
What plans YHVH has laid out for my sons.  I love learning more about them as they grow and mature into young men.  When Thing 2 was very young, his pediatrician asked me, "Does he make his wishes known?"  This has remained a family joke since, as he has *always* been very vocal.  Our youngest is the same way.  They definitely don't have a barrier when it comes to speaking, unless they don't want to communicate something.  I'm the same way.  We're quite vocal about most things, but if there is something we don't want to have to say, or it's uncomfortable to mention, or might cause disappointment... **crickets**
As our youngest inches closer to becoming 11 years of age (on Wednesday, y'all!), it feels more like he and his brother are sliding into home base, and the best thing I can do for them is continue to prepare them in our Father's word, teaching/training them in the way that they should go in the hopes that they will not depart from it - "it" being His way, His truth, His life.  Recognizing that I have no control over who they are becoming, outside of giving YHVH's instructions, is quite humbling, indeed.  It is also a mercy.  

I am reading...
L-R: Uncle Jerry, my Mom, Gaga holding Uncle Bob, and Uncle Dave

Some really funny interactions on Facebook between my mom, her brothers, my aunts, my cousins, etc.  I really love that even in the sadness that could overtake us on this day, they still see the good.  My mom posted a picture to my Uncle Bob's page for his birthday, and they're bantering about why the two older boys were separated in the picture, and why everyone has a sour look on their face...  Uncle Bob said, "Am I wearing Lederhosen?
Uncle Jerry replies, Why, yes I think you are Bob.  It was an omen I guess.  Also, your right leg seems a little unnatural.  Do you remember having a prosthetic leg in those days?" (side note about the omen has to do with where Uncle Bob has since spent much of his adult life)  My cousin said, "Back in those days, was it proper etiquette for the men to stand 1+ feet away from the women (unless carried)?" to which Uncle Jerry says, "Yes, it's called cooties protection."  My mom says, "Or Papa made us all get up really early and none of us were happy about it.  And we were all squinting in the sun.  Life was rough back in those days..."  Most of this sums up our family's dynamics and humor.  I'm glad to be a part of it. :)


I am hoping...

I am learning...
Proverbs 23:12
Apply your heart to instruction, and your ears to the words of knowledge.


In my kitchen...
My eldest son (Thing 1) made some peanut butter cookie dough for us to cut out later, when we come home from the cemetery (for our tea and cookies).  I will also be making this cake and icing tomorrow, along with this topping for my youngest son's (Thing 3) birthday on Wednesday.  


In the homeschool room...
About a week and a half ago, we went on an outdoor family Bible scavenger hunt, and really enjoyed it.  The boys went out on their bikes, Daddy and I went out on foot, and even our K-9 came with us.  His breed is a hunting dog, so when we go out, he is nose to the ground, sniffing to his heart's desire.

Also, through a website called Coursera, we have Thing 1 enrolled in 2 college classes.
1) Learning to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects,
and 2) Introduction to Guitar.
Thing 3 will be taking a course, also, called Developing Your Musicianship.  You might think that someone who has not yet turned 11 is too young for a college course, but we don't see any point in holding them back.  :)
As they finish each course, we will take on a new one, continuing to build up their skills.


A favorite quote for today...


A peek into one of my days...
I am really anticipating visiting with some friends (my best friend and her daughters, who are Thing 3's best friends) on Wednesday, for Thing 3's birthday.  They have a newborn in the home, so it won't be as extended as a visit as we are accustomed to, but we will certainly make the most of it!  Great times with great friends!


One of my favorite things...
This may become redundant, but when I arrive at this prompt,
Julie Andrews begins to sing about her favorite things.

One of my favorite things, truly, is a song my Gaga used to sing to us.
"Tell Me Why"  I, in turn, raised my children on it.  One night when I was staying with Papa, I sang it to him, and it choked him up to know that we hadn't forgotten Gaga - she still lives on in the hearts of her family, and so does he.  So shortly after that night, my mom was visiting, and some uncles, and other family members, and as a family, we sang this song to him (along with another Gaga song "Mairzy Doats").  Same effect.  What a beautiful moment.  <3


From the board room...
Feel like following me on Pinterest?  :)  My boards are a bit diverse, ranging from Hebrew to organization, head coverings, silly sayings, even adult coloring pages, etc.


Post Script
Post Script... thank you for reading!
I think I may have been a bit more long-winded today.
I hope you can be encouraged in our Father and Messiah,
and that I haven't been rambling about!
If you decide to start blogging, or already are,
would you consider dropping me a line so I can follow along with you?


If you'd like to participate with your own daybook, and/or follow along, here's where I get all of this inspiration from: http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing that this is a day of remembrance for you too. I spent an hour on the phone today with my aunt remembering all our loved ones that have gone. I thought of you today as we begin to come into "that" season, not knowing what today meant to you. It's kind of like wading in the water. I want to get my feet wet, but I don't want to go in too deep. I don't want to get sucked under. I pray that all your memories are sweet!

    ReplyDelete