Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

How an iPod can fracture a toe...

July 15, 2014


Five days ago, on Thursday, I was going about my business, cleaning up the living room while my sons were still asleep.  I picked up the short stack of papers that was their math assessments, noting that our old school iPod (first generation, man) was sitting on top.  I held the stack with both hands, up until I reached to pick something up, when I let go with one hand.  That's when it happened.  The iPod fell down and hit my left big toe!  That'll teach ME to clean up!  (Just kidding.  Kind of.)

So anyways, I've been walking around on it, icing it, elevating it, etc., for 5 days.  Finally, tonight I asked Yah (for those of you who are new here, that's short for YHWH - Yod Hey Waw Hey - or Elohim) what I should do.  I was kind of figuring that it was fractured.  I went to have it X-rayed, and lo and behold... it's fractured.

I'm sure all of the ER folks were just as surprised as me.  The Dr. said, "You most likely have a contusion, or a bruise.  If that's the case, you can just take some over the counter meds and you'll start to feel better soon.  We'll just take some X-rays just in case.  Sound good?"

I felt like they were all walking past my room to catch a glimpse of this silly lady who came in for a bruised toe from an iPod crashing down.  Until, in an almost mad rush, four medical professionals came streaming into the room, one at a time.  One carried medical tape, another had 2 rigid sole shoes, one was the Dr., and the other one just wanted to see for himself.  I'll be honest, I was surprised, but felt somewhat vindicated because I just KNEW something wasn't right.  (Official discharge papers say 'CLOSED FRACTURE OF GREAT TOE OF LEFT FOOT')  The Dr. mentioned a chip fracture, which I thought was interesting because I had told my husband that it felt like it was chipped.

So one hour later, sporting that rigid sole shoe, some tape on my toes and a hefty bill... I was out the door and on my way home.  In the days leading up to this visit, I had spent some time researching my symptoms, and one of the most common things I'd read about foot injuries is that 'just because you can walk on it doesn't mean it's not broken.'  Tonight, I helped prove that to be true.  Here are some of the signs and symptoms that I experienced (am still experiencing) that led me to the X-ray machine tonight:

1. an old school iPod (read: VERY heavy) fell on my left foot near the big toe, resulting in:
2. immediate, severe pain that actually brought tears to my eyes, but did not make me cry;
3. barely-there bruising underneath the skin, about 2 inches long;
4. some swelling in the first few days, but nothing to write home about;
5. lingering, kind of gnawing pain in my poor big toe while at rest;
6. worse pain than that when I walked around, but I found a way around it by walking on the outside of my foot (don't do this at home; it puts the rest of you out of alignment... read: you'll have to pop your back a few times if you do this);
7. all of this lasted, like I said, about 5 days.

There was never a time that I couldn't walk, although there were many where I'd rather not have walked.  I spent those days trying to stay off of it, keeping it elevated, iced, etc.  I just can't wait until I get my Deep Blue by doTerra to help with that inner bone pain issue.  I'm thankful to Abba Yah that it's been diagnosed so that I can now rest it and allow it to heal, as He has designed our bodies to do.

"YHWH my Elohim, I have cried to You, and You have healed me."  Tehillim (Psalm) 30:2
2

No comments:

Post a Comment