Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Walking in Wisdom: Week 1, Tuesday

Week 1 -Tuesday
Read:  Proverbs 2:1-6    
{SOAP:  Proverbs 2:6}

S –  (My son, if you accept my words, And treasure up my commands with you,
So that you make your ear attend to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment, Lift up your voice for understanding,
If you seek her as silver, And search for her as hidden treasures,
Then you would understand the fear of יהוה, And find the knowledge of Elohim.)
For יהוה gives wisdom; Out of His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

O&A – When it comes to the word, it always stands out to me when things like this are said (in verse 1), “*IF YOU ACCEPT*” my words… “*AND TREASURE UP MY COMMANDS WITH YOU*”… Then we have, “*So that YOU MAKE your ear attend to wisdom, INCLINE YOUR heart to understanding*”… “*For if YOU CRY for discernment, LIFT UP YOUR voice for understanding, if YOU SEEK her (wisdom) as silver, and SEARCH for her (wisdom) as hidden treasures, THEN YOU would UNDERSTAND the fear of Adonai, and FIND the knowledge of Elohim.  For Adonai GIVES wisdom, out of HIS mouth come knowledge and understanding.”  I see so many if/then statements.  If YOU/I do THIS, then Adonai will do THAT.  So that means if I CHOOSE not do those things, will I still receive the reward?  Doubtful. 

First thing I see in this passage is that I must ACCEPT the words of Adonai.  There’s a scripture that says, “Many are called, few will choose.” (Matthew 22:14)  And while that passage is speaking of the wedding feast, I think it still ties in.  Many are called to salvation, but not all choose it.  Not all accept it, which is the admonition we receive in this first verse concerning wisdom.  If you accept my words.  If you cry for discernment.  If you lift up your voice for understanding.  If you seek her as silver.  If you search for her as hidden treasures.  I see also: If you accept my yoke.  The choosing is up to me.  No one can choose it for me, and I can’t choose it for anyone else. 

Back to the SOAP verse: For Adonai gives wisdom; out of His mouth come knowledge and understanding.  So when I want, need, and desire knowledge and understanding about a matter, to whom should I turn?  Whose word should I seek?  Abba’s!  How precious of a treasure do I have in my hands that I can turn and see what Abba says about a matter, and I can see Yeshua’s example, according to the word of Adonai.  The Bible is rich with knowledge and understanding, and with instruction that leads us to wise choices.

Side note:  There’s a book I once read with one of my little buddies who comes to visit me every Wednesday afternoon.  The book was about a little bear who is very adventurous, and his momma bear who is giving him instruction.  The first few adventures, the little bear says, “I want to do this” and as his momma is setting about giving him instruction, he doesn’t heed it, and instead rushes off to do the thing.  He falters, and then comes to his mom and she (patiently) says, “Here’s how to do it.”  So after like 3 or 4 of these episodes, he says, “I want to do this!”  He then turns to his momma and says, “How do I do it?”

That sounds a little bit too familiar to me. 


P – Abba, I desire Your wisdom, and the knowledge and understanding that come only from You. The more I draw close to You, the more I read Your word, the less I realize I *know* and *understand*. Help me to accept Your words without my own conditions, and to be willfully submissive to You. In Yeshua's name, Amein.

No comments:

Post a Comment