Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Ecclesiastes: Week Two ~ Day Three

March 29, 2016
Week 2, Day 2

SOAP: Ecclesiastes 2: 20-21

S:
Therefore I began to cause my heart to despair concerning all the labor in which I had labored under the sun.  For there is a man whose labor is with wisdom, with knowledge, and with skillfulness; yet he shall leave it for his portion to a man who has not labored for it. This also is vanity and a great evil.”

O&A:
Caused: סָבַב cabab - to turn oneself – to a person or place, or from which we turn away

Despaired: יָאַשׁ ya'ash – cast down in spirit

Fruit/Labor: עָמָל `amal – heavy, wearisome labor

Wisdom: חָכְמָה chokmah – skill, dexterity à piety towards YHVH à ascribed to a ruler, king

Knowledge: דַּעַת da`ath – intelligence, understanding, wisdom - discernment

Skill: כִּשְׁרוֹן kishrown – success, prosperity

Legacy: חֵלֶק cheleq – the lot (portion) of a man in his life/the allotment designed of YHVH

Vanity: הֶבֶל hebel – “vanish more quickly than a breath”

Evil: רַע ra` - hurtful à wicked – of the manner of thinking and acting; displeasing to Elohim

Shlomo says he began to cause his heart to despair.  I don’t even want to get into his specific despairs, but focus on the action of causing his heart to despair.  He made the choice to enter into this cast down in spirit demeanor.  He was thinking, and focusing, on things that he knew would lead him further down the rabbit trail of despair.  In hindsight, we know from Scripture how all of this turns out, but when we are in the midst of this thing called “stinkin’ thinkin’” (thank you, Pastor Manuel, lol), we sometimes don’t realize we are ‘choosing’ to dwell on the thoughts that lead us further into darkness.  Shlomo was choosing to feed into this, and it was drawing him away from Abba. 

I’m not by any means diminishing the effects of depression.  I think it’s called that for a reason, because as the word implies, it’s a sinking down: the act of pressing down, or the state of being pressed down; a low state.  It can also be the act of humbling or abasement, like the depression of pride.  It’s also a sinking of spirit, or a state of sadness, and can be want of courage or animation. 

I’m, unfortunately, all too personally familiar with each of these definitions.  When my middle son died, I was absolutely depressed.  I was the one who ministered CPR to his breathless body while I waited for EMS to arrive.  In the periods of time following, I was practically void of life, except that my heart kept beating, and my lungs kept filling with air, and my brain kept sending the life-giving vital information for the organs to keep operating and the blood to keep flowing, sometimes against my will, because the pain was so great.  What does this have to do with Shlomo?  I didn’t put any effort into the state of depression I was in.  It was almost like a means of survival, keeping everything to a minimum just to survive.  Very different from when I don’t get my way, and get upset about it, and choose to focus on my upset.  Or, as Shlomo stated, when I cause my heart to despair. 

If I skip to the last portion of the passage, it says, “This also is vanity and a great evil.”  That vanity is something we’re hearing a lot of in this study.  It’s the meaningless, void, empty things.  The great evil he speaks of comes out to this: hurtful à wicked – of the manner of thinking and acting; displeasing to Elohim.  So he acknowledges that this wicked, hurtful way of thinking and acting is displeasing to Elohim. 

Oy vey.  May I just take a moment to say that reading Ecclesiastes in this timed fashion is really, and I mean so seriously, causing me to examine my own thoughts and actions and purposes???  Here I am getting upset with Solomon, the Kohelet/Preacher for voicing some of the very thoughts I have had, and then Abba is dealing with me about it.  (Like, come on, Shlomo, why do you have to put into words the vain thoughts I have had?  It makes me think of how irritating it can be, as a parent, when I hear my sons repeat certain things I have said ((usually to one another)).  It brings things to the light.  I baruch/bless Abba for shedding light on the areas in me and my life that need His touch!  May I/we always be willing to allow the Potter to shape us, mold us, and change us according to His good purpose!)

Long story short (might be too late for that), we have but this one life. What will be the legacy of my life?  Will it be for YHVH’s glory, bringing the besorah/the Good News of the gospel of Yeshua to the nations?  Will it be that Abba’s allotment for me will be fulfilled for His purpose?  Or will I try to have control over my life, and end up in despair?  Will I choose YHVH’s purpose and meaning over the meaningless and purposeless actions, thoughts, words, etc., that I could turn to? 

P:

Mighty Elohim, King of the Universe, You are so incredible!  I bless You, Abba, and I bless the works of Your hands, the desires that You have for Your children, and the words that You speak to us.  Abba, I am so desirous of Your discernment, and wanting to learn more about how to not cause my heart to despair.  It has always been too easy to listen to the voices that say I’m not good enough, that I’m not smart enough, that I’m not doing it right enough… which has always given me ample fuel to cause my heart to despair.  Father, I pray that I will always remember what You spoke to me, that I am YOUR cegullah bachar.  Your chosen treasure.  You chose me, and now I have chosen You.  I pray that I/we will gain from this study in Your word Your wisdom, Your understanding, Your discernment, and grow in skill so that the legacy I/we leave behind will be a living testimony to You, and not vanity, as Shlomo feared.  I pray that when we turn, as Shlomo mentions, we turn to You, and not from You; that if we have turned away from you in any area of our lives, that there will be a teshuvah, a RE-turn to You!  Let this study continue to open spiritual eyes, and cause spiritual stirring to the ways of life that we may have accepted to be the norm, and revitalize us, in Yeshua’s precious and Kodesh/holy name!  Amein.

No comments:

Post a Comment